If you are not familiar with carb cycling let me explain the slingshot week is six consecutive high carb days and one reward day. In other words, it tends to add a few pounds. Yes, it is true carbs help you retain water partially because they are mostly water–yes, even the dry, crunchy ones like crackers. Now that I have helped you understand that you will understand why I am up .4 pound but down another 3.25 inches.
That means for January I lost 9.5 inches and 3.2 pounds.
Just so we are clear…I never adjust my results or count the “gain” of slingshot week unless I do not lose it the following week. Four-tenths of a pound is nothing so I am confident it will be gone before Tuesday…another beauty of carb cycling. One day of low carb is usually all I need to banish the fake gain of a slingshot week.
From My San Francisco Kitchen:
Black Bean Brownies
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained (15½ oz)
- 2 eggs
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup and 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips for topping (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Add all ingredients to a blender and blend on low until all ingredients are well blended (there should not be any whole black beans in the batter!).
- Lightly grease an 8×8 baking dish and pour batter inside.
- Top with chocolate chips or nuts if desired.
- Bake for 25 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean after inserting in the center.
- Cool for 30 minutes before cutting and serving (otherwise they will fall apart).